Here is an outlay of the Infrastructure / setup at home so you can see how my posts relate to the environment I have at home! At work it’s a very different kettle of fish!
- BT Fibre 54Mbps connection into:
- TP-Link Archer VR900 VDSL Modem
- Western Digital My Net N750 Gigabit Router running OpenWRT Barrier Breaker
- HP Microserver N40L
- 8GB DDR3 Memory
- 4TB Western Digital Drive
- 1TB Seagate Drive
- 1TB Western Digital Drive
- 2TB Drive
- CrashPlan+ Backup
This little guy which is hidden away in a cupboard, provides the storage for all our data across the house. Its runs FreeNAS, which I decided to go with as has simple yet powerful capabilities, and provides functionality such as Apple file shares so I can Time Machine to it, and use native OS X protocols.
Initially importing the data was a little painful because of permissions, but once I had figured these out (good old chmod) all is well! The Media centre server is connected to this guy as a windows share, and all video recordings, Media Browser data etc is located here. I wish I could run Plex on this box, but the processor does not have the grunt to transcode any HD content.
Media / Main Machine
- Medion X6815 Laptop
- i7-2630QM QC Processor
- 8GB RAM
- Toshiba 120GB SSD
- VMware Workstation
- Windows 10
This is our main Media Centre PC / virtualisation machine. It’s mostly a front end for Plex, and also acts as a transcoding machines for other devices around the house.
It also runs a small number of VMs for various home automation / projects around the house!
- LG 55″ UHD Smart TV
- Denon AVR-X2200W Amplifier
- Tannoy SFX 5.1 Speaker set
- Humax HDR-1010S Freesat box
- Celcus 32″ 3D TV
- Denon AVR-X2000 receiver for spare room, with 2 x Tannoy Mercury V1 speakers, and some Pioneer SSL-100 speakers.
- XBox 360 Slim
- Wii U Premium
- Roku Stick
- Telldus Tellstick.NET (433Mhz setup)
- Various switches / dimmers across house
- From HomeEasy, Nexa, Conrad
- Home Assistant
- Homebridge (for Siri Integration)
- Zoneminder (CCTV solution)
- MacBook Pro Retina 13″ (Late 2013) with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD
- iPhone 6S Plus
- Apple Watch 1.0
- Raspberry Pi with Wi-Fi adapter
- Lenovo Miix 2 8″ tablet (Baytrail, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD)
I expect more will come along here, perhaps with some detail on some of the tools I use between these devices!